The German tax system is complicated. A tax advisor can take care of your taxes. If you are an employee, they can prepare your tax declaration and deduct expenses. If you want to start a business in Germany, they will take care of the business registration and verify all your finances. They are worth the cost.

The list of tax advisors is at the bottom of this guide

Steuerberater or Buchhalter?

Should you hire a tax advisor (Steuerberater) or a bookkeeper (Buchhalter)? Tax advisors are allowed to submit tax declarations and financial statements in your name. Bookkeepers can fill the papers, but you must submit them yourself. If a Steuerberater makes a mistake, they are legally liable. If a Buchhalter makes a mistake, it's your problem.

Related guide: Steuerberater or Buchhalter: what's the difference?

How much does a Steuerberater cost?

If you are an employee, it depends on your income. You will pay 300€ to 1000€ for a tax declaration. The prices vary a lot. The best way to know is to call and ask them how much they charge. Use this calculator to estimate the costs.

If you are self-employed, you must pay more. If you don't charge VAT, you should pay 300€ to 800€ per year. If you charge VAT, you should pay 700€ to 2,000€ per year. Steuerberater costs are tax-deductible. The prices vary a lot. The best way to know is to call and ask.

Tax advisor fees are tax-deductible1.

English-language tax software for Germany

Tax advisors are very expensive. If you want to save money, you can use tax software instead.

If you are an employee, you can use Taxfix or SteuerGo. Both are available in English. They help you enter expenses and file tax declarations.

If you are self-employed, you can use Sorted or LexOffice. They help you with invoicing and VAT reporting. Sorted is available in English. It lets you book time with a tax advisor when you need help. LexOffice is only in German, but it's much better. Some banks like Kontist, Holvi and Qonto can also make your accounting easier.

If you don't know what you are doing, you can still make very expensive mistakes. A tax advisor is better, but it's more expensive. I have tried all options, and a tax advisor is still the best option.

Tax and bookkeeping software costs are tax-deductible1.

List of English-speaking tax advisors

Other lists of tax advisors

All About Berlin's list of tax advisors

This list is compiled by hand. I found tax accountants that speak English, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish and Chinese. If a Steuerberater is missing from this list, let me know.