The Anmeldung - How to register an address in Berlin

The Anmeldung - How to register an address in Berlin

A plain English guide to registering an address in Berlin. This is how you get a Meldebescheinigung and a tax ID.

Registering your address is the first thing you should do after moving to Berlin. If you say at an address for more than 6 months1, you must register. This process is called the Anmeldung.

When you register your address (the Anmeldung), you obtain a certificate of registration (Anmeldebestätigung or Meldebescheinigung) and a tax ID (Steueridentifikationsnummer). The certificate of registration proves that you live at a certain address, and the tax ID identifies you with the Finanzamt. You need the certificate of registration to apply to open a bank account (with some exceptions), to set up an internet connection etc1. Your employer needs your tax ID as soon as possible to pay you correctly.

You should register within 14 days of your move-in date1, but this rule is not enforced in Berlin1, 2, 3. You should just register within a reasonable time1. You will not have problems if you take a few weeks to register.

If you already registered at this address but lost your Anmeldebestätigung, you can request a new one.

Step 1: Get a Bürgeramt appointment

You must get an appointment for Anmeldung einer Wohnung at the Bürgeramt. You can go to any Bürgeramt in Berlin, not just the one in your borough.

There are 3 ways to get an appointment at the Bürgeramt:

  1. Dial 115 and ask for an appointment. The Bürgertelefon helps Berliners find appointments.
  2. Book an appointment online. It's the easiest way, especially if you don't speak German.
  3. Go without an appointment. Go to the Bürgeramt, get in line and wait until someone can see you. This used to be the only option, but this is not necessary anymore. The city hired more Bürgeramt employees, so you can easily find an appointment.

For more information, see our guide on how to get a Bürgeramt appointment in Berlin.

When you book an appointment, you will receive an appointment number (Vorgangsnummer). Don't lose that number! If you lose it, you can call 115 to get it back1.

Step 2: Gather the required documents

Before you visit the Bürgeramt, you must have the following documents:

  • The Einzugsbestätigung des Wohnungsgebers (or Wohnungsgeberbestätigung, or Vermieterbescheinigung). You cannot complete the Anmeldung without this document. Only the person who gives you the apartment (the Wohnungsgeber) can sign this document. The landlord can sign this letter. If you are renting a room or a sublet, the main tenant (Hauptmieter) can also sign the letter, with the permission of the landlord1, 2. A rent contract is not enough1, but it's sometimes accepted by the Bürgeramt1.
  • The filled Anmeldung form. You can find an English translation here. This website and this website can also help you fill the form.
  • A valid ID document, like your passport.
  • Your vehicle papers. If you have a vehicle registered at your old address, bring your Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil 1.

Registering your address is free, but updating your vehicle papers costs 10.80€ per vehicle.

Step 3: Go to your Bürgeramt appointment

Go to the Bürgeramt on the date of the appointment. Bring the documents listed above.

If you can, a German-speaking friend. Some of the employees speak English, but not all of them. If you don't have any German-speaking friends, you can hire a relocation consultant to help you.

When you go to the Bürgeramt, you must sit in the waiting room until your number is called (the one you received when you booked the appointment). You will sit at a clerk's desk, give your documents and receive your Anmeldebestätigung. You will also get a sticker with your new address on your Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil 1. The Anmeldung takes around 10 minutes.

The employee will give you the Anmeldebestätigung on the spot. A few days later, you will receive your tax ID by mail1.

Can someone do the Anmeldung for me?

Yes. If you can't find time to go to the Bürgeramt, you can sign a power of attorney (Vollmacht) that allows someone else to do the Anmeldung for you. created a free power of attorney template for this.

There are also services that do the Anmeldung for you. Red Tape Translation and c/o Germany can go to the Bürgeramt and register the address for you. If you don't speak German or you don't have time to go to the Bürgeramt, this is a good solution.

Can the landlord refuse to let me register?

No. The landlord can't refuse to let you register1. Registering your address is a right. There are a few reasons why you might not be able to register your address:

  • The landlord doesn't know that you live there
    It could be an illegal sublet. The tenant is subletting the apartment without the landlord's permission. If the landlord finds out, you can get kicked out without any warning1, 2.
    • The landlord can't refuse to let the tenant sublet a room. He can only refuse if the apartment is too small. The landlord can charge more rent when you sublet an apartment1, 2, 3, 4.
    • The landlord can refuse to let the tenant sublet the entire apartment.
  • The landlord doesn't want to let you register there
    This is illegal. The landlord must let you register your address1. You can inform the Bürgeramt, and they will force the landlord to let you register1, 2, 3.

Can I do my Anmeldung if my name is not on the mailbox?

Yes, but you must add "c/o" to your address when you register1. If you don't do this, you won't receive your mail from the government, and you won't receive your tax ID.

Landlords sometimes refuse to put your name on the mailbox if your name is not on the lease1. When your name is not on the mailbox, you must write your address like this everywhere:

[name of person on the mailbox]
c/o [your name]

Musterstraße 123
10115 Berlin

Some people say that it's not possible to register with "c/o" anymore1, but one of our readers did it in January 2020. If you have tried it, let us know in the comments below.

Related guide: How to address a letter in Germany

Can I do my Anmeldung at a hotel or AirBnB?

Generally, no. Most hotels, hostels and AirBnBs won't let you register your address there. They are not forced to let you register, unless they let you stay for more than 6 months1.

Can I do my Anmeldung later?

Yes. You should register within 14 days after you move in, but many people take longer. You will not get a fine, even if you take a few weeks to register1, 2, 3.

Can I get a job without my Anmeldung?

Yes. When you do your Anmeldung, you get a tax ID. Your employer must know this number. They your tax ID to know how much income tax to take from your paycheque. If you don't have a tax ID, you will pay the maximum income tax rate: around 42%. You must fill a tax declaration to get that money back.

Do I need to speak German?

Probably. Some Bürgeramt employees speak English, but many don't. The Anmeldung is very simple, but if you can, bring a German speaker with you.

If you need a translator, Red Tape Translation and c/o Germany can go to the Bürgeramt with you. If this is your first Anmeldung and you don't speak German, this is a good solution.

Will I have to pay church tax?

It depends. When you register for the first time in Germany, they will ask you what your religion is. Depending on your answer, you might have to pay an extra tax: the church tax. This tax is 8% or 9% of your income tax, and it's taken directly from your paycheque. A single person earning 50 000€ a year would pay 800 to 900€ per year in church tax.

If you were baptised in your home country, they might collect church tax even if you registered as an atheist. Watch your paycheques for unexpected church tax payments, just in case.

Settle in Berlin wrote an excellent guide on how to stop paying church tax.


  • Alneel

    Please let me know the pathway of Anmeldung if I am already registered and I shift to another new apartment.
    Is there anything that's called Ummledung?
    How can I do this Ummeldung?

    Reply to Alneel
    • Reply to Alneel

  • Caroline

    Hello, thanks for the useful post!
    I was wondering if you know how many people can register in one single flat, or where I can get this information?
    Many thanks, Caroline

    Reply to Caroline
    • Reply to Caroline

    • Nicolas Bouliane

      I have not seen a specific limit. There must only be enough space for all the people registered.

      Reply to Nicolas Bouliane
      • Reply to Nicolas Bouliane

      • Caroline

        Thanks for the answer!

        Reply to Caroline
        • Reply to Caroline

  • Veronika Livnat

    Hi:) I'm moving to Berlin in March, my passport is from Israel but it also states that I was born in Russia. Unfortunately I wasn't able to issue a new Russian passport, and the old one is expired. I heard some people bring with them all the passports to prove their nationalities. Will it be ok to only bring my current passport from Israel and not mention anything about Russia( I haven't lived there since a very young age)? Thanks in advance!

    Reply to Veronika Livnat
    • Reply to Veronika Livnat

  • Kren

    Thank you for the useful information. I have a question. My contract of the apartment starts from April 2020. Can I register now with that address and stay for two months in a place unregistered. Or do I need to have a contract ir sublease from now if I want to register at the authorities.

    Reply to Kren
    • Reply to Kren

  • MăDăLin

    Hi dears,
    I would like to move in Berlin but :
    If I want to rent a flat, the owner will ask me if I have a job and the answer will be “ no “.
    If I will find a job, they will ask me if I have an address and of course the answer will be again ,, no ,, .
    What I should to in this situation ?
    Moreover I’m trying to apply for different jobs in Berlin and the feedbacks are always negative. Maybe because on the cv I mentioned a different address than Berlin ?

    Kind regards ,

    Reply to MăDăLin
    • Reply to MăDăLin

    • Fernando Baroni

      Same thing here and I'm an EU a bit of a conundrum =(

      Reply to Fernando Baroni
      • Reply to Fernando Baroni

  • Andrea Casanova

    I also wanted to ask something else. As I am doing a registration (to get the anmeldung) in a place where I am actually not living, could I get mi tax ID at the same moment I get my anmeldung or anytime before I get the mail in the address I am registering??

    Thanks :)

    Reply to Andrea Casanova
    • Reply to Andrea Casanova

    • Nicolas Bouliane

      You can get your tax ID faster by going to the Finanzamt directly. You can get your tax ID in a few days by doing this. Our tax ID guide has a bit more information on this.

      Reply to Nicolas Bouliane
      • Reply to Nicolas Bouliane

  • Andrea Casanova


    This post is really useful!

    Regarding the c/o [your name], where do i have to write down this when I do my anmeldung?? In the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung or in the form i have to fill?

    Thanks a lot!!

    Reply to Andrea Casanova
    • Reply to Andrea Casanova

    • Nicolas Bouliane

      Good question! We have never done it, and different people got different answers. If you use a c/o during your Anmeldung, let us know how you did it. We will update our guide.

      Reply to Nicolas Bouliane
      • Reply to Nicolas Bouliane

      • Helena

        I registered with a 'c/o' address in Feb 2020. The official there told me "we don't do 'c/o' here, we do 'bei'", which really is just the German translation of it. So you can do it.

        My registered address is now officially with a "bei" in it - I confirmed with the official that even without my name being on the mailbox, mail addressed to me with the "bei" from the govt etc should arrive. I also spoke to a German colleague who registered in Berlin with a "bei" address about 1.5 years ago. It seems it still works.

        I still have to receive something there, so cannot confirm 100%, but

        Reply to Helena
        • Reply to Helena

  • Madalin

    Hi dears,
    Would you be so kind as to let me know if I can make anmeldung if I don’t have a job in Berlin ?
    I want to move in Berlin, I’m still searching a job but the problem is when I will find it, they will ask me about anmeldung, German bank account and I don’t have these .

    Thank you so much

    Reply to Madalin
    • Reply to Madalin

    • Nicolas Bouliane

      You don't need a job to register. Everyone must register, even those who don't have a job.

      When you register, you get a tax ID. Your employer needs this, but you don't have to give them that number immediately. That number is used to know how much income tax you should pay. If you don't give them that number, you'll pay the maximum rate: 42%. You can get that money back by filing a tax declaration.

      Reply to Nicolas Bouliane
      • Reply to Nicolas Bouliane

  • Juan

    I already did the "Anmeldung" in another city near Stuttgart because I lived there for 1 year, but my contract there is valid until April this year. I work in Berlin from January and I rent a provisional apartment. What should I do with the process of "Anmeldung"?


    Reply to Juan
    • Reply to Juan

  • Rayan

    Hi !
    I never received my Tax ID, either by mail or at my appartement, what am I supposed to do ? It's been a month and a half now.
    Thanks !

    Reply to Rayan
    • Reply to Rayan

    • Ro

      You can go to the Burgerampt and get your tax id there. Or also you can get it in the Finanzampt (it is usually less crowded)

      Reply to Ro
      • Reply to Ro

  • Lisa


    Can a power of attorney sign the landlord confirmation (on their behalf)? I have an appointment this Thursday for my Anmeldung, but found out my landlord mailed the confirmation to me, so I won’t get this before my appointment.

    Reply to Lisa
    • Reply to Lisa

  • Nelson Nsofor

    Can I use a friends appointment number to register myself ?

    Reply to Nelson Nsofor
    • Reply to Nelson Nsofor

    • Nicolas Bouliane

      The appointment has your name on it. Your friend can (and should) cancel their appointment if they're not going. That appointment slot will then be free, and you can use it.

      Reply to Nicolas Bouliane
      • Reply to Nicolas Bouliane

  • Michael

    I am moving to Berlin in a rush as I've been offered a Job, I've sorted a WG but will only have 1 week in Berlin to anmeldung before my job (that needs my tax ID etc) starts.
    There are no appointments in this free week in any Bürgeramt's, so can I just walk in and wait?
    Thank you!

    Reply to Michael
    • Reply to Michael

    • Nicolas Bouliane

      We have another article about finding an appointment at the Bürgeramt. If you keep checking, you should find an appointment within a week.

      Keep in mind that you don't need your tax ID until you get your first paycheque, and that it takes around 2 weeks to get it. You can also get it faster by going to the Finanzamt a few days after your Anmeldung.

      Reply to Nicolas Bouliane
      • Reply to Nicolas Bouliane

  • Justin

    Hi there, I had two questions if anyone can help!

    1. My husband is coming to Germany later than I am. I have an appointment before he arrives to register. Can I register for both of us in the same appointment without him here or will we need to schedule two separate appointments?

    2. On the form, what is "civil status person 1 or 1 and 2" mean? If we are married does that mean were are 2?

    Thanks so much!

    Reply to Justin
    • Reply to Justin

    • Bhargava Gade

      Hey Justin, I am in the exact same situation, I'm moving to Berlin next week, my wife will move a month later. Since your post is from Sep 2019, I'm assuming you figured out the answer by now. Could you please guide me?


      Reply to Bhargava Gade
      • Reply to Bhargava Gade

  • Julia

    As a non-EU citizen, do I have to apply for a visa / residence permit before or after registering (doing my Anmeldung)

    Reply to Julia
    • Reply to Julia

    • Nicolas Bouliane

      You should apply for a residence permit after registering. You need to prove that you have an address in Germany during your visa interview.

      However, the registration certificate is NOT required to apply for the visa. You can use your lease and the certificate from your landlord instead.

      Reply to Nicolas Bouliane
      • Reply to Nicolas Bouliane

      • Julia

        Thank you Nicholas your advice is much appreciated. Does anyone know how long it takes approximately to get an appointment? Does it make sense to schedule one a month or so in advance?
        Thank you :)

        Reply to Julia
        • Reply to Julia

  • Cam

    I lost my Vorgangsnummer, and the email that the site said they would send me never arrived? What can I do

    Reply to Cam
    • Reply to Cam

  • Tess Vlaminck

    Hi, I just came back from the Bürgeramt. The document "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" has changed. Now you also need to fill in the name of the landloard... :(

    Reply to Tess Vlaminck
    • Reply to Tess Vlaminck

    • Anup

      Can you please point us towards the new Wohnungsgeberbestätigung document? Where can we download this online?

      Reply to Anup
      • Reply to Anup

      • Georgia Moffa

        Reply to Georgia Moffa
        • Reply to Georgia Moffa

    • ltonEngal

      I am ltonser. I need help. What can i do it?

      Reply to ltonEngal
      • Reply to ltonEngal

    • Orilofeskix

      I can create guide for you. It is possible to share?.

      What kind of problems can you solve for us?

      I ma from Finland.

      Reply to Orilofeskix
      • Reply to Orilofeskix

    • Woodiskingser

      ich habe ein Problem mit diese

      Reply to Woodiskingser
      • Reply to Woodiskingser

    • Woodiskingser

      Problem mit Javascript. Nachricht zu den Einstellungen. Hilfe!

      My english is poor :).

      Reply to Woodiskingser
      • Reply to Woodiskingser

    • Beerislooov

      witam serdecznie! Jestem nowy. Nie Jestem pewien czy dodałem mój post do odpowiedniego działu na stronce. Proszę o przeniesienie

      Pozdrawiam i mam nadzieje ze się przydam :)

      Edit: nie wiem czy dodal sie wczesniejszy post

      Reply to Beerislooov
      • Reply to Beerislooov

  • Carmen

    Hi, if I am Orthodox I understand I do not have to pax church tax, yes? Thank you

    Reply to Carmen
    • Reply to Carmen

  • Arash Barazandeh


    Ich habe mich für die Adresse registriert, aber ich konnte keine Dokumente im Zusammenhang mit Steuern und Registrierung erhalten. Ich eröffne auch ein Bankkonto und konnte meine Karte noch nicht erhalten, wo kann ich folgen, um meine entsprechenden Dokumente zu erhalten?

    Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Arash Barazandeh

    Reply to Arash Barazandeh
    • Reply to Arash Barazandeh

  • Leave a comment