This guide will help you find a job in Berlin, even if you don't speak German.

If you want to become a freelancer and start a business in Germany, read this guide instead.

Where to look for jobs?

  • - Job search engine. Lets you set job alerts
  • Glassdoor - Company reviews, salary reports and job listings
  • LinkedIn - Popular networking website with a large jobs section
  • Xing - Similar to LinkedIn. Popular in Germany.
  • Craigslist - Mostly low-paying gigs and scams. Not used in Germany.
  • Jobted - Job listing website

English-speaking jobs in Berlin

Tech jobs in Berlin

Creative jobs: media, communications, design

Startup jobs

Internships, temp work and minijobs

Freelance work

Restaurant jobs

Is it hard to find a job in Berlin?

If you work in tech and you don't speak German, it will be very easy1, 2. There are many English-speaking tech companies in Berlin. English is the main language in many tech offices. There is a lot of demand for software developers and IT workers.

If you are a skilled worker and you don't speak German, it can be very hard1. You can apply to startups and companies that target international customers, since they usually speak English at the office. Keep in mind that you are competing with people who speak English and German. If you are applying for medical or engineering positions, make sure your qualifications are recognized in Germany.

If you are not a skilled worker and you don't speak German, finding a job in Berlin will be really difficult1. There are not that many options, and there are thousands of people who are competing for these jobs. Again, you are competing with people who speak English and German. If you are not a EU citizen, it will be hard to get a visa for unskilled work. You could still get a Working Holiday Visa, or a Youth Mobility Visa.

If you want to teach English in Berlin, finding a job will be very hard. If you are not certified, and don't speak German, it will be almost impossible1, 2, 3, 4. ELTABB is the local English teachers' association. Their website has a job board.

If you speak German, it's easier. Most job offers are for German speakers.

Related guides:

Visa requirements

If you are a citizen of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you can live and work in Germany without a visa. You can just move to Berlin, get a job and start working.

If you are not a citizen of those countries, you need a residence permit to work in Germany. Many residence permits let you work in Germany:

  • Work visa
    For skilled workers. Your employer must be a German company. This guide shows you how to get a work visa.
  • Blue Card
    For university graduates. It's a little better than the work visa, because it lets you get your permanent residence faster. Usually, your employer must be a German company. There is a minimum income requirement.
  • Working Holiday Visa
    For citizens of Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Taiwan and Uruguay. You must be between 18 and 30 years old. It's easier to get than the work visa or Blue Card.
  • Youth Mobility Visa
    For Canadian citizens between 18 and 35 years old. This residence permit lets you work and travel in Germany for up to 1 year. It's easier to get than the work visa or Blue Card.
  • Student visa
    You can work up to 120 days per year (or 240 half-days per year) while you study1. You can work more if the job is part of your studies1.
  • Au-pair visa
    This residence permit lets you work as an au-pair in Germany.
  • Internship visa
    For university students1. This residence permit lets you do an internship in Germany. It's valid for 6 to 12 months1. More information here.
  • Family reunion visa
    For spouses and family members of German residents. This residence permit lets you work in Germany.
  • Permanent residency
    If you have permanent residence in Germany, you can work in Germany. You don't need any permission. You can also work for companies outside of Germany.

Related guide: How to apply for a German work visa

Taxes and insurance

In Germany, a part of your salary goes to health insurance, pension contributions and taxes. The total amount you earn is your Brutto income. The amount you keep after taxes is the Netto income.

This is what is taken from your paycheque:

The amount of taxes you pay depends on your tax class, the number of children you have, and the type of health insurance you have. To calculate your Netto income, use this tax calculator. This calculator shows how much money you keep every month.

If you need help with taxes in Germany, ask a tax advisor. German tax software can also help you file your taxes. Taxfix and SteuerGo are available in English.

Useful links:

Cultural differences

If this is your first job search in Germany, there are small cultural differences you must understand.

For example, Germans use Curriculum Vitae, not resumes1. German CVs are longer than American resumes. They often include your date of birth, your citizenship and a photo of you1.

In Germany, you get paid once per month. Your employer pays half of your health insurance, but your health insurance is not tied to your employer. You can choose any health insurance you want. If you lose your job, you don't lose your health insurance.

The first 6 months are a probation period. It can be harder to get a loan or find an apartment during your probation period, because you can easily lose your job.

Useful links: