The German work visa (Aufenthaltserlaubnis zur Aufnahme einer Beschäftigung) allows you live in Germany and work for a German employer. It's officially called a "residence permit for the purpose of employment", but everyone calls it a work visa or work permit.

The work visa is a type of National Visa. The work visa and the Blue Card are two different things.

For more information, see this guide.