What is the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung?

When you move into an apartment, you get a tenancy confirmation (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung). This document proves that you live there. You need it to register your address, or to apply for a residence permit.

You can get a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung from…

  • Your landlord
  • The main tenant of your sublet or WG. They need permission from the landlord.1
  • Your spouse if you move in with them.
  • Your boyfriend or girlfriend if you move in with them. They need permission from the landlord, but the landlord can’t really refuse.2

The Wohnungsgeberbestätigung is also called Einzugsbestätigung des Wohnungsgebers or Vermieterbescheinigung. It’s sometimes the same document as the Übergabeprotokoll.

Wohnungsgeberbestätigung template

Sources and footnotes
  1. promietrecht.de, berliner-mieterverein.de 

  2. berliner-mieterverein.de