The Anmeldebestätigung and Meldebescheinigung are documents that confirm your official address in Germany. Banks, cellphone companies and government employees require these documents to confirm your address.

Anmeldebestätigung or Meldebescheinigung?

When you register your address (the Anmeldung), you get a registration certificate (Anmeldebestätigung). You get it during the Bürgeramt appointment.

The Meldebescheinigung is a copy of this registration certificate. You can always request a new Meldebescheinigung1. If you have a very old registration certificate, they could ask for a more recent copy, so you need a Meldebescheinigung.

The Anmeldebestätigung confirms that you registered an address on a certain date. The Meldebescheinigung confirms that you are still registered at this address. You only receive the Anmeldebestätigung once, but you can request a Meldebescheinigung anytime you want.1

The erweiterte Meldebescheinigung

There is also the extended registration certificate (erweiterte Meldebescheinigung). It has information about your previous addresses, your spouse, and your children1. You rarely need this document.

How to get an Anmeldebestätigung

You receive an Anmeldebestätigung when you register your address in Berlin (this is called the Anmeldung). The document is printed out and given to you during the appointment.

Related guide: How to register your address in Berlin

How to get a Meldebescheinigung

You can request a new Meldebescheinigung. This service costs 10€1.

In person at the Bürgeramt

You can get a Meldebescheinigung from any Bürgeramt in Berlin. The procedure is simple1:

  1. Get an appointment at any Bürgeramt for "Meldebescheinigung beantragen"
  2. When you go to your appointment, bring a personal ID (such as your passport) and 10€.

By mail or email

You can also request a Meldebescheinigung by mail or email1:

  1. Write to any Bürgeramt in Berlin.
  2. Transfer 10€ to the Bürgeramt's bank account.
  3. In your email, include a copy of your personal ID, and the date of your bank transfer.


Since February 2021, you can request a Meldebescheinigung online. You must be registered in Berlin.

You can't request an extended registration certificate (erweiterte Meldebescheinigung) online. You must request it by email, by post or in person1.