How to file a noise complaint in Berlin

How to file a noise complaint in Berlin

If you are dealing with loud neighbours in Berlin, this is how you file a noise complaint with the Ordnungsamt.

When you have loud neighbours who ignore the quiet hours and disturb your sleep, you can call the police and file a noise complaint. This is a normal and acceptable way to deal with loud neighbours.

1. Find your local Ordnungsamt

2. Call and file a noise complaint

Simply call your local Ordnungsamt using the contact information above, and explain the situation. The Ordnungsamt will send a pair of police officers to knock at your neighbours' door and ask them to be quiet. Usually, one or two calls are enough, even for the most resilient neighbours.

3. Notice the Hausverwaltung

When the same neighbour always makes too much noise, you can complain to your building management (Hausverwaltung). They will usually notify him, and if the problem persists, he could get kicked out.


  • Chris

    In my experience and having spoken to a member of our hausausschuss (housing committee) you should email the housing administrator as soon as possible (and their landlord, if you know it). You can also contact the police yourself because, as others have pointed out, the Ordnungsamp tends to be closed when the noise is being made.

  • Kim Droptiny

    It is midnight in my neighborhood and my family can't sleep because the neighbors party music is so loud. Is there no help for this in Berlin?

  • Irate Neighbour

    The ordnungsamt pages your post links to are for offices that close by 6 p.m. each day. Are you really suggesting that calling this number for a neighbour making noise after 22:00 will result in any sort of response? Perhaps you mean that we are supposed to call them the morning after...?

    It's really not clear.