How to get an International Driving Permit in Berlin

How to get an International Driving Permit in Berlin

How to get your IDP in Berlin and the rest of Germany, both with German and foreign driver licences.​

The International Driving Permit is an official translation of your driver's licence that is recognized in 200 countries1. It's a small leaflet that you must carry with your original driver's licence while travelling abroad.


This guide pertains to you if:

  1. You are currently in Germany
  2. You want to drive in a country that requires an International Driving Permit

With a foreign driver's licence

The procedure for obtaining an IDP with a foreign driver's licence varies from country to country. In most cases, you must request the International Driver's Permit in your country of origin.

Canada: Must be obtained from the CAA while in Canada. No other authority can issue them. Consider converting your licence to a German one, then requesting an International Driving Permit in Germany.

United States: The AAA can mail International Driving Permits overseas, as stated on their website.

Great Britain: You can get an International Driving Permit directly from the AA, the RAC or the Post Office. You can also request a British IDP by post.

With a German driver's licence

If you have a German driver's licence, you must book a Bürgeramt appointment for an Internationaler Führerschein. The ADAC does not issue International Driver Permits anymore1.

You must bring 15 euros, a biometric picture and a valid German driver's licence. Temporary licenses issued to new drivers (vorläufiger Nachweis der Fahrerlaubnis) are not accepted. You must bring a valid plastic driving licence (Kartenführerschein).

You will leave the Bürgeramt with a valid International Driving Permit. This permit is valid for 3 years.


  • Nick Nuttall

    Hi, I am currently living and working in Germany. I have a British drivers license but want to get an International Drivers License. Can I do this at the Burgeramt? Thanks


    • Reply to Nick Nuttall

    • Nicolas Bouliane

      Yes, as the article says.


      • Reply to Nicolas Bouliane

  • Leave a comment