This guide explains how the Deutschland Ticket works in Berlin.
- It costs 49€ per month
- It lets you use local public transit everywhere in Germany
- It’s only available as a monthly subscription, payable by bank transfer
- Tourists must buy it from a different place
- In Berlin, you can get it from the BVG or the Deutsche Bahn
What is the Deutschland Ticket?
The Deutschland Ticket is a monthly public transit pass. It lets you use local public transit in all of Germany. It costs 49€ per month. It’s available from May 1, 2023 in all of Germany.
What can you do with a Deutschland Ticket?
- Use local public transit in all of Germany: the S-Bahn, the U-Bahn, trams, buses, ferries and regional trains (RE)
- Bring a dog for free in Berlin zones A, B and C
- Use intercity trains (IC, EC and ICE) or private buses and trains
- Bring other people with you for free
- Bring a bicycle with you for free
- Let someone else use your ticket
How to buy the Deutschland Ticket
In Berlin, you can buy a Deutschland Ticket…
You can’t buy this ticket from a ticket machine or from the BVG app.
You can only get the Deutschland Ticket as a subscription. This means that you pay automatically every month until you cancel your subscription.
You must buy your ticket in advance. You have until the 10th day of the month to buy your ticket for the next month. For example, you have until May 10 to buy your ticket for June.
The rules can be different in other German states.
Tourists can buy a Deutschland Ticket from mo.pla. You can pay with a regular credit card. They also make it easier to cancel the ticket after your trip. Check the app reviews before you try.
It can be easier to buy a regular daily, weekly or monthly ticket. You can buy those from a ticket machine at the train station. You can pay with cash or credit cards.
How to cancel a Deutschland Ticket subscription
You can cancel your ticket…