What is Hausratversicherung?

Home contents insurance or household insurance (Hausratversicherung) insures your furniture, your appliances, and the other movable things in your house.

For example:1

  • There is a fire on your building, and you lose everything you have.
  • A water leak destroys your furniture and electronics.
  • A thief breaks into your house and steals your things.

It sometimes covers laptops and bicycles away from home. It sometimes covers calling a locksmith when you lock yourself out.

Household insurance costs less than 5€ per month. 76% of Germans have it.2

Types of insurance in Germany

Sources and footnotes
  1. ruv.de 

  2. gdv.de